Basil can either grow like a weed or be a little stunted plant. The conditions make all the difference.
- Don’t put plants too close together. Crowding will cause the plants to be tall and spindly.
- Basil needs lots of sun. Full sun. No shade. It is a heat loving plant, the hotter the better.
- That said, if the basil dries out, it’s all over. The roots need to be nice and moist all the time. Water from below if you can; the leaves don’t really like to get wet.
- Make sure the soil is good soil. Basil needs lots of nitrogen and other nutrients to grow.
- A little breeze is good for the basil plants. Too much wind, however, will damage the leaves.